By: Pearl Maalouf BS, FMSC, CPT, CF-L1
Are “Fit People” a different species than your average human? Is there something different about them that makes them workout often and eat healthy all the time?
Actually, no! They are humans just like everyone else, with their own weaknesses, cravings, and yes-even fit people sometimes don’t want to go to the gym! But they do have some secrets that help them stay healthy and keep them in shape.
Read these tips, print them out and then post them somewhere you see them every day. It could be the daily reminder so that you stay consistent on your health journey!
1. Water is King. Keep a water bottle with you at all times so you never go without it. Make sure it’s accessible and that you drink from it often.
2. They limit caffeine to early morning or pre-workout.
3. Whenever a meal is in your control try to keep food as clean as you can…you never know when you’ll be called to a last minute work event where pizza is the only option!
4. They treat exercise as a fun activity not a burden or chore. Fit people often surround themselves with like-minded people to keep each other motivated.
5. They don’t smoke, and limit exposure to secondhand smoke.
6. A weekly-or even twice- “unhealthy” meal or treat doesn’t make them feel guilty, but a full week or vacation filled with junk food probably won’t happen-not because of guilt either. It just doesn’t taste or feel good to eat to them in that quantity!
7. They love having a gym partner! It gets them motivated to go to the gym on days when they’d rather not go, and it’s a fun way to hang out with a friend!
8. They may not do it often but they will try almost all physical activities, sports, or group exercise classes as a fun way to switch up their exercise routine.
9. Fit people don’t weigh themselves everyday. Go beyond the scale and keep yourself in check by the way your clothes fit, how you look naked in the mirror, or improvements you’ve made in your workouts!
10. If you ever open a fit person’s social media account, their home page is all #fitspo posts! Its a great way to get daily reminders from fellow athletes, clean eating chefs, or yogis to stay positive and active! (follow us on IG @legymonline)
11. Fit people limit alcohol intake to special occasions.
12. People that look great year-round, not just in the summer, have an eating style and workout schedule that is maintainable year-round. Through holidays, birthdays, or vacations. Stick to the basics, stick to eating foods that come in their most natural forms! Working out hard twice a week, is better than short, unenthusiastic workouts 5 times a week.
13. Sleep. Every night at a relatively consistent time and enough to let your boy recover and their bodies will be in a routine so it’s easier to fall asleep immediately. An added bonus of exercise: most people who exercise regularly fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly!
14. Fit People surround themselves with positive influences. Subscribing to health/fitness/yoga magazines and following a healthy lifestyle blog (like this one!) frequently!